Dear South Lake Families,
As we continue with the Speak Up, We Care campaign to better promote, communicate and link students and families with the Irvine Unified School District’s mental health and wellness services and resources, the second quarterly theme we are introducing is Be Kind. This theme builds on our first theme of Link Up and encourages students to build meaningful connections.
What can you do to help your child Be Kind?
- Encourage your student to choose a random act of kindness to do for the month – students can pick at random as well at our “Random Acts of Kindness Jar” outside during lunch January 14th – 18th.
- We will have “Thank You for Your Kindness” cards for students to fill out over the course of the month which will be posted on our Kindness Wall.
- Encourage your child to engage in and demonstrate kindness through kind words and actions. You and your child can choose to participate in adding to Orange County’s One Billion Acts of Kindness Campaign.
- Encourage your child to show himself/herself kindness.
- Encourage your child to show empathy. Before having this conversation, parents or adults can watch this video showing the difference between sympathy and empathy: Brene Brown on Empathy vs. Sympathy
- Encourage your child to embrace the differences and diversity of others by accepting them as human beings without judgment.
As a reminder, a website has been created that supports the Speak Up, We Care campaign. Please click on this link for additional resources: www.iusd.org/WeCare. Also on this website, you will find the 2-minute video encouraging IUSD students to Speak Up for themselves and others. If you have not already, you may want to watch the video with your child and have a conversation about the message.
- Start with an open-ended question such as: What do you think about the message in this video?
- If your child says that s/he cannot think of an adult s/he would go to, point out to your child that the video appears to be sending the message that the adults at the school care and want to connect. Give your child an opportunity to generate some solutions.
Thank you...Go Sharks!
8th Grade Families - Intradistrict/School Choice Info
All 8th grade families should have received an email from IUSD with information about Intradistrict/School Choice for 9th grade. The window to complete this process is open. Go to https://iusd.org/about/iusd-enrollment/intradistrict-school-choice for more information.
Please take some time to complete our Annual Survey. Your input is critical in helping us identify areas for growth and to celebrate successes. We use and act on this input every year so thank you for completing the survey. Go to https://hanoverresearch.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_40VCnQGdQV1hemN.
Winter Bowl - IPSF
Winter Bowl is January 26th at the Great Park - please come out and support our South Lake teams. We are fielding both girls and boys teams in 7th and 8th grade...go Sharks!
Mile Challenge Donations
Our PTSA is gearing up for our annual Mile Challenge - this is a great fundraiser where students run their mile for a great cause - our school. Our staff donate fantastic teacher prizes and our PTSA will be sending out information soon. If you have any prizes that you would like to donate - sports tickets, restaurant gift cards, etc. please contact Grace Mendoza at email@example.com or Tina Schindler at firstname.lastname@example.org...thank you!
Upcoming Important Dates
January 21st - Martin Luther King Day - No School
January 22nd - Holiday - No School
January 30th - PTSA Meeting
January 30th - School Site Council
February 4th - 7th - Musical