Welcome to South Lake Middle School Library’s web page!
- The Library is open before school every day at 7:30 a.m. (except on Tuesday late starts) and closes at 3:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday. We are also open during snack and lunch.
- During tutorial, the library is open to students with a gold or silver sticker on their planners, based on GPA. Monday and Thursday are reserved for 8th graders & Wednesday and Friday are reserved for 7th graders.
- If you cannot find the information you're looking for below, please email the librarian, Ms. Dietz.
Log into Destiny to find relevant print and online materials. Use your IUSD login - no @iusd.org at the end of your username.
* Encyclopedia Britannica - Great resource on all subjects, especially background information
* ABC-CLIO - Social studies databases
* ProQuest - Newspaper and journal articles, history and literature databases, great resource for in-depth information
* BrainPop - Often used by teachers, but available here for student usage at any time
There are several ways you can access e-books through a device (computer, tablet, phone) wherever you are!
Click on the links below for access & instructions on how to navigate through these sites.
IUSD OVERDRIVE (link) - This is the main collection of e-books for the district. As a middle school student, you will have access to all e-books and audiobooks available to grades K-8. You'll find mostly high interest fiction titles. Click here for recommended Overdrive titles from South Lake's library staff!
OCPL E-BOOKS USING SORA (NEW!!)- Once you can log into OverDrive, you can easily access the Sora app using a computer, tablet, or phone. This will give you access to all of Orange County Public Library's (OCPL's) e-books even if you do not have a library card with them!! Click here if you're using a computer (desktop, laptop, Chromebook). Or click here if you're using a tablet or phone.
MACKINVIA (link) - A small collection of unlimited e-books. After clicking on the link, type in South Lake Middle School as your school/district and you should then be forwarded to the collection. Click on a title and check out.
* Top Picks for Middle Schoolers (Scholastic)
* The Best Report Books for Middle Schoolers (Common Sense Media)
* Literature Map (author recommendation tool)
* Every Friday at lunch!
Be sure to listen to homeroom announcements to hear what's happening in the library every Friday. Movie Day, Board Games Day, and book-related parties are some of the events we host. Students are usually allowed to bring their lunches in on these days. You may also be required to sign up ahead of time to attend.
If you have any questions, ask library staff!